Southern Rush - native (Juncus australis)
Family: Juncaceae (Rush family).
- the petals and sepals are 2.3 to 3mm long
- the seed cases are as long or a little shorter than the petals and sepals
- the culms are dull green to bluish-green
- the culms have 30 to 60 strongly raised striations
- the culms are not easily split
- the pith is interrupted, usually with large air spaces
- the cataphylls (basal leaves) are dark brown at the base
- the seed cases are usually shorter than the petals.
Photo 1, 2: Southern Rush. Metcalfe.