scale bar = 1cm.
Italian Buckthorn - introduced (*Rhamnus alaternus)
Family: Rhamnaceae (Buckthorn family).
Native of the Mediterranean region.
Occurrence: The seed is spread by birds, and this weed is usually
found at the base of trees, growing near gardens which have
buckthorn planted. It is a common weed near the Castlemaine Botanic Gardens.
- it is an evergreen shrub or small tree
- the leaves are a glossy green
- the leaves are slightly toothed
- the flowers are small and greenish yellow
- the fruit are pea-sized, and red at first, turning to black when ripe.
Rhamnus: from the Greek name for this plant.
Photos 1, 2: Italian Buckthorn. Downes Road, Castlemaine.