scale bar = 1cm.
Matted Starwort - native (Stellaria caespitosa)
Family: Caryophyllaceae (Carnation family).
Native of south-east Australia.
Occurrence: Creek floodplains and swamplands.
- it may form dense mats
- the stems are weak and trailing
- the leaves are stalkless, and about a centimetre long and less than a millimetre wide
- the leaves are in opposite pairs
- the fruit are about 3.5 x 1.5 mm
- the small white flowers have five petals.
Most Victorian records for Matted Starwort are for the Murray River area.
Photos: Matted Starwort. Harcourt North Reservoir.