Scale bar is 1cm
Soft Brome - introduced (*Bromus hordeaceus)
Native to Europe and western Asia. Annual. C3.
Family. Poaceae (Grass family).
- it is a medium sized grass, usually to less than 50cm high
- the flower clusters are contracted
- the glumes are shorter than the lemmas and so are much shorter than the spikelets
- the spikelets are many flowered, typically about 10
- the leaves are flat
- the ligules to 3mm long, blunt, sometimes finely toothed, and hairless or hairy.
- the hairy lemmas and the slender awns (on the lemmas) give the grass a soft appearanc
- the leaves have long hairs
- the lemmas have two small lobes (c 1mm) at the tip.
Soft Brome is a very common weed, usually growing with other weeds in disturbed places. It is an environmental weed.
Bromus: a kind of oat; hordeaceus: resembling barley.
1-2. Spikelets. Castlemaine.