Scale bar is 1cm
Red Brome - introduced (*Bromus rubens)
Native to the Mediterranean area. Annual. C3.
Family. Poaceae (Grass family).
- it is a low-growing grass, usually 20-30mm high
- the flower cluster is dense, held erect when fresh
- the glumes are shorter than the lemmas
- the lemmas are long-awned
- the leaves are flat
- the ligules are to 2.5mm long, becoming tor.
- the mature flowers take on a dark-red colour, hence "Red Brome".
Red Brome is moderately common. The red colour, the clustered flowers and the conspicuous awns are characteristic.
It is an environmental weed.
1. Red Brome with the erect flower clusters. Castlemaine.