Is it a native?
Cultivated Oat - introduced (*Avena savita
Other names: Oat.
Native to the Mediterranean area. Annual. C3.
Family. Poaceae (Grass family).
- it has an open panicle
- the glumes are longer than the lemma body
- the spikelets have 2 or 3 lemmas
- the leaves are flat
- the ligules are 1.5-7m long and hairless or minutely hairy
- the lemmas are hairless (or with a small hair tuft at the lemma base)
- the lemmas may be awnless or awned, and the lemmas have short teeth
- the two lemmas fall as a unit.
It is sometimes a weed of roadside verges.
savita: that which is planted for crops.
1: Spikelets with unawned lemmas. The lemmas have short terminal teeth. 2: Flower cluster. Bells Swamp. 3: Two lemmas united.